Friday, September 5, 2008

What I did on my summer vacation

All of my pre-school/school age children have had to do little projects about what they did on their summer vacation, so I thought I would do one as well. Last Mothers Day John surprised me with a great gift, even though it wasn't the little blue box tied with a white ribbon I had hoped for, it was so much better. He gave me baseball tickets. Now, I know at first glance that may not sound great but it was one of the most thoughtful gifts he has given to date and may be tough to beat on upcoming holidays but we will save that for another day. He gave me tickets to see the Cubs in Wrigley Field, the Yankees in Yankee Stadium and the Red Sox in Fenway Park.

What brought this on was John and I have always talked about when the kids were older taking a two week driving tour, starting in DC going up to New York, Boston, Niagara Falls and anything else we could find in between and then coming down through Chicago, Missouri and ending back in Texas. Seeing every baseball stadium and historical site on the way. However this is the last season for Yankee Stadium which was going to be one of the premier stops on our trip. So John surprised me with the shortened, kid free version of the trip. We did three stadiums in three cities in three days. In New York we did take a couple of hours to go to our favorite spot the Met. We also went to the lobby of the Empire State Building and walked down 5th Ave, that was all we had time for and they were really close to our hotel. We had planned to take a detour to Cooperstown just to complete the experience but in the end opted for sleep instead. It was a lot of fun and I had a great time. I think John by the end had watched all of the baseball he could stand for a while.

I think we still will take the long, kid included version some day and we will have to go to the new Yankee Stadium instead, but at least now I can say that I have been to the house that Ruth built.










4 comments:

Kristen said...

Congratulations! Welcome to the Blog world. About time! I can not believe how big Claire is. She is a good mix of everyone, isn't she? I need to see your family again. Time is going by way too fast.Hugs to everyone!

Joyce said...

I love your blog! Thanks for sharing with me. I will put your blog address on my Google Reader.

Edwin and Rebecca said...

Stephanie,
you will love blogging. My parents just did the baseball trips, niagra, ny church history, etc. I thought it sounded like a boring vacation. When she got back and showed me pictures and told me all about it....it looked like so much fun. Glad you got to go!!!

Melissa said...

Yeah Steph! What fun that must have been. Tell John next time he needs to arrange a visit with a player (i.e. Chipper) =0}